Patients are increasingly taking into consideration the digital health tools doctors offer when selecting a primary care physician, according to a new survey by TechnologyAdvice, MobiHealthNews reports (Comstock, MobiHealthNews, 1/15).
For the survey, TechnologyAdvice polled 406 U.S. adults who either had seen their primary care physician recently or had an appointment scheduled to do so (Graham, TechnologyAdvice release, 1/14).
Respondents were asked about a variety of digital tools, including:
- Health resources and education materials;
- Mobile scheduling applications;
- Online bill pay;
- Online appointment scheduling;
- Online test results or diagnoses; and
- Secure messaging outside of office hours.
Among respondents, 60.8% said the availability of digital tools was “important” or “somewhat important” to their choice of provider.
About 64% of respondents said they wanted their physician to offer at least one of the digital tools listed in the survey, while 62.6% said their provider did offer such services.
However, the survey revealed a disconnect between the tools patients wanted and those doctors actually offered.
Specifically, the survey found that:
- 32.8% of respondents said they wanted online test results, while 27.8% said their physicians offered them;
- 29.3% said they wanted to schedule appointments online, while 19.7% said their physicians offered the service; and
- 25.1% said they wanted online bill pay tools, while 17.7% said their physicians offered them.
In addition, the survey found that while educational materials or health resources was one of the least-requested services, it was the most highly offered (MobiHealthNews, 1/15).
VersaSuite’s Patient Portal provides your patients with private, secure access to messages, appointments, and personal health records, allowing for more patient engagement while streamlining patient-provider communication and saving your practice valuable time. With a secure username and password, your patients have 24-hour access to personal health information, can exchange secure messages with physicians, and can update their contact and benefits information — all from the comfort and privacy of their home or office.Learn More